Category: Graphic Novels
Writer: Gregory Anderson-Elysee
Artist: Daryl Toh
Colourist: Lee Milewski
Letterer: Joshua Cozine
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Goal Date: October 25, 2017
Currently Funded (At Time of Writing): $918 of $10,000
Campaign Type: All or Nothing
Last year creator Gregory Anderson-Elysee launched his first graphic novel, Is’nana the Were-Spider: Forgotten Stories, which is a horror/fantasy story based on mythological folklore from West Africa and the Caribbean. Anderson-Elysee’s hope with Is’nana the Were-Spider: The Hornet’s Web is to continue the legacy of Africana and Black-based folklore and mythology and remind the world of these fantastic characters and stories.
Is’nana broke the barrier between our world and the Mother Kingdom, allowing all sorts of unsavory characters to invade. Last volume saw Is’nana, with guidance from his father Anansi the spider god of stories, defeat Osebo the Leopard.
Now in the second volume, Is’nana the Were-Spider: The Hornet’s Web, he must face Queen Mmboro, her daughter Princess Kantite, and their family of hornets, wasps, and bees who want to take over reality by possessing humans. Caught up in the middle is the Baptiste family. Is’nana is pushed to the limits by Queen Mmboro’s hive and must deal with the rising tensions with his father, who has become more controlling of Is’nana’s actions.
Is’nana the Were-Spider: The Hornet’s Web looks like a fantastic book, dealing with numerous themes. Family, particularly father/son relationships, and coming of age/self discovery and identity will be the big ones. The stakes are high for the characters and the art is a lot of fun. The Were-Bees and Is’nana in his Were-Spider form are quite grotesque looking, which is very necessary for a horror series, but still kid-friendly for the most part.
Recommendation: Backing at the $35 level will get you printed copies of both volumes so you don’t have to worry about missing Volume 1: Forgotten Stories. Check out the reward tiers below.
- The Rewards:
- $5 – Your name in the “Thank You” section of the book.
- $10 – PDF of Is’nana: The Were-Spider Vol 2: The Hornet’s Web.
- $20 – PDFs of Is’nana: The Were-Spider Vol 1: Forgotten Stories and Vol 2: The Hornet’s Web.
- $20 – Physical copy of Is’nana: The Were-Spider Vol 2: The Hornet’s Web.
- $25 – 1 physical copy of either Vol 1 or 2 and PDFs of both volumes.
- $30 – An Is’nana the Were-Spider Vol 2 print
- $35 – Physical copies of both volumes
- $35 – Pins (choice of 3) from Is’nana the Were-Spider.
- $50 – Your choice of an exclusive Is’nana the Were-Spider T-Shirt.
- $70 – Exclusive Is’nana the Were-Spider Custom Pop Toy, designed by Viet Huynh.
- $100 – An original penciled and inked page from Is’nana the Were-Spider Vol 1 by artist Walter Ostlie.
- $300 – Physical copies and PDFs of Is’nana the Were-Spider Vol 1 & 2, all prints, all pins, all T-shirts, and Custom Pop Toy.
- $380 – EVERYTHING! Physical copies and PDFs of Is’nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 & 2, all prints, all pins, all T-shirts, Custom Pop Toy, AND an original page from Vol 1 by artist Walter Ostlie.
Be sure to read the detailed rewards for each level on the Is’nana the Were-Spider: The Hornet’s Web Kickstarter Page.