We’re a mere DAY away from the kick-off for Fan Expo 2017 in Toronto, Canada which is one of the biggest and well-attended conventions in North America. I decided to compile a list of a few of the MUST SEE things going on at the show this year such as panels, screenings, and artists that you should make sure to visit while you’re attending. Obviously this is a list of things that I personally think are cool and you should check out the list of panels and such for yourself, but yeah!
The only thing I didn’t tackle here was a list of cool celebrities to see since I feel that’s a lot more subjective so take a look:
Artists to Check Out
Here are some of the amazing people you should make sure to check out over the weekend. Check out their goods, check out what they have going on and support rad people.
- Sanya Anwar (Shade the Changing Girl) – P012A
- Dylan Burnett (Weavers) – P019B
- Emmanuelle Chateauneuf (Queen Street) – P006A
- Johnnie Christmas (Angel Catbird, Firebug) – P026B
- Genevieve FT (Archie, Faith) – P027
- Irma Kniivila (Joyride) – P202
- Janet Lee (Lost Vegas) – P001
- Jahnoy Lindsay (She-Hulk) – P039B
- Yanick Paquette (Wonder Woman: Earth One) – P067
- Sara Richard (My Little Pony) – P025
- Marguerite Sauvage (Faith, DC Bombshells) – P069
- Katie Sawatsky (Slow Mosey) – A304 – I selfishly will also have some goods at this booth so come by to check them out and to say hey when I’m there!
- Nikki Stinchcombe (Femme Fatale) aka Little Paper Forest – A306
- Michael Walsh (Spider-Man, Hawkeye) – P026A
- Danny Zabbal (Life Death & Sorcery) – P011B
Here are my picks for some of the panels that I think sound great. These might not be for everyone as they’re not necessarily the BIG draws but hey, that’s what I’m here for – to expand your horizons!
- Sketch Duel – Ty Templeton vs Jay Fosgitt vs Sara Richard vs Adam Gorham – Thursday August 31 at 5:45pm (Room 716B)
- Celebrity Q&A with Doctor Who Stars: Matt Smith & Karen Gillan – Thursday August 31 at 6:30pm (Room 106)
- Image Comics at 25 – Friday September 1 at 3:30pm (Room 714B)
- Celebrity Q&A with Stranger Things Stars: Finn Wolfhard, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin – Saturday September 2 at 12:30pm (Room 106)
- Celebrity Q&A with Nathan Fillion – Saturday September 2 at 12:30pm (Room 106)
- InnerSpace Presents Star Trek: Discovery with Sonequa Martin-Green, Jason Isaacs, Doug Jones, Anthony Rapp, Mary Wiseman and Shazad Latif – Saturday September 2 at 3:30pm (Room 105)
- Creator Spotlight on Tom King – Sunday September 3 at 11:00am (Room 714B)
- Writing for Comics Roundtable – Sunday September 3 at 2:30pm (Room 714B)
Conventions have all kinds of cool sneak peaks for fans, if you’re up for waiting in long lines for an early glimpse at something you love. Some of the ones to look out for this year include:
- Ghosted (Canadian Premiere) – Friday September 1 at 2:00pm (Room 701A) – Additional Q&A with special guest Craig Robinson
- Bad Blood (World Premiere) Friday September 1 at 3:30pm (Room 710B)
- Star Wars Rebels Season 4 Sneak Peak – Saturday September 2 at 11:30am (John Bassett Theatre)
- The Carmilla Movie Sneak Peak – Saturday September 2 at 4:00pm (Room 701B)
- Thor: Ragnarok Costumes Exhibit
- Beauty and the Beast: Paige O’Hara (Belle) and Robby Benson (Beast) are at the show over the weekend. Take the chance to meet these stars who helped make a classic Disney film.
If you need any help prepping for your weekend at FanExpo, we have you covered. Take a listen to the Conventions 101 episode from Comicsbound to make sure you’re prepared!
ALSO: if you’re worried about harassment or anything of the sort – lots of ladies will help you out but here’s a handy list of men in comics that I personally vouch for and that I know will help you, if needed.